I think I broke yum

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 15 21:37:26 UTC 2007

Michael Yep wrote:
> After starting yum it was doing a 300+ pkg update, and it never
> finished.  Now I cannot run yum, and rpm seems to be broke too.
> In addition I cannot issue a Ctrl-C command, I must hit Ctrl-Z and do a
> kill -9 on the yum process.  How do I find out what yum is doing and how
> to get it back to normal?
>
> This is what yum says now:

> [1]+  Stopped                 ./u
> [root at localhost ]# ps aux |grep yum
How about grep rpm ?

If rpmq is there and you it could takes more than 5 minutes to resolve
dependencies {especially if cpu is slow, or ram less than 384M}, then
you might need to nuke rpmq.

Can you update a single package eg yum update yum ?
You can add debug logging to yum with
# yum -d15 update yum

DaveT.