Recovering from yum breakdown {nuking}

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 16 13:51:44 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I was just running "yum update" on a remote computer
> when the link broke.
> (I know I should have been running yum in the background,
> but I wasn't ...)
> When it broke down, yum had installed 90 out of 190 packages.
> (I hadn't updated that machine for some time.)
>
> When I ran "yum update" again, it installed the remaining 100 packages.
> and cleaned up after them.
> But it never cleaned up after the first 90 packages.
>
> (a) Is there any way of running the missed cleanups?
A similar thing was occurring on ppls machines when performing either
rpm/yum/pup updates (in early 2006-12-), caused by something else, but I
think the symptoms   you generated would be identical and therefore give
dupes-cli.py a go.

http://skvidal.wordpress.com/2006/12/04/re-wow/

This worked for me. Eg 30-50 packages where there are two identical
packages by name, but diff version 'installed'.

Actually, it might be included now in extras/yum-utils ?

 > (b) Could this be described as a yum bug?
As I understand it, it could be solved in rpm, by implementing a
transaction initiated, transaction complete tracking system, so that
next time rpm ran it would perform anything that was incomplete. Are you
an able fingered coder ? Perhaps see
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureRPMYumEnhancements

DaveT.