Multiply X users: ownership conflicts of sound devices

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 15:34:25 UTC 2007

Hi,

I use FC6.
On my system, I usually have two X users: user1 can login via the
default Xlogin screen, and user2 uses 'startx -- :1 vt8' from VT1.
Although both users maybe logged in simultaneously, only one
user is working at the console at a certain time.

This works fine, *except* for using the soundcard and playing sound.
It seems that one user grabs the sound devices, and then the other
has no access anymore.

I tried to change the permissions of some of the sound devices
to "rw-rw-rw", but either that doesn't work or I forgot a device
(which devices are relevant here?).

Can somebody give me some clues what to do in this case?

Thanks,
Rob.