vnc lockups

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 18 07:46:49 UTC 2007

Just within the past several days, I have started to have problems with my VNC
session locking up when connected to a particular FC6 machine.  The local
desktops on that machine work fine but a VNC session (through SSH) locks up
after anywhere from several seconds to several minutes.

By locking up I mean that the remote desktop window freezes and the terminal
window that I initiated the SSH session through also freezes.  If I close both
windows and re-open my session again then everything is just where it was
before it locked up.

This happens continually.

I can log into another machine running FC6 and run a VNC session on it with no
lockups.

I can log into yet another machine on the same Internet connection as the
"problem machine" (different IP address, same modem) that is still running FC5
with no lockups as well.

Another person who uses the "problem machine" through a VNC connection is also
complaining about lockups.

What could be wrong here?  Could it be the router at fault, somehow?  All of
the other network services on that machine seem to be running fine.  At least,
nobody has complained about anything not working and there is a lot of traffic
on that local network because the "problem machine" is also a LTSP server.  I
have difficulty believing that it could be something like a loose wire simply
because the rest of the traffic on that local network appears to be fine.  And
if I log into the "problem machine" via SSH and don't crank up VNC, the terminal
connection doesn't seem to lock up.  When I run VNC and VNC locks up, I can't
type into the terminal either.