Disable in X the restart/shutdown by user. How?

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Thu Jan 18 12:46:31 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 6:49 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Rob, if you use gnome I can't help, but in kde you can control these things
> easily from kcontrol, by a combination of settings in session manager and
> login manager.  One gives you the option to offer shutdown when logging
> out, and the other allows you to set who is allowed to shutdown.

Rob:
Have you looked at /etc/pam.d/poweroff and /etc/pam.d/reboot ??? It seems to
me that simply commenting out "account required" should do the trick. That
still leaves "root." Then again, I may be barking up the wrong tree, so I'd
check with someone who knows for sure before trying what I'm
suggesting... :-) That being said, there ought to be an easier way to do this
sort of thing *Independently* of which window manager you choose.
	John