Udev problem

Rick Sewill rsewill at cableone.net
Thu Jan 18 20:24:44 UTC 2007

Question please:

If you do
       ls -lR /dev/disk

which symbolic links point to the disk in question when the disk is
connected to your machine?

If you found symbolic links in the /dev/disk/by-label
or /dev/disk/by-uuid directory, such as
/dev/disk/by-label/disklabel -or-
/dev/disk/by-uuid/fe76a058 -then-

in your fstab file, could you put
/dev/disk/by-label/disklabel /media/disk ext2 user,noauto
-or-
/dev/disk/by-uuid/fe76a058 /media/disk ext2 user,noauto

If you can do the above in your fstab file, would you be able to
mount the disk as user and refer to its mount point as /media/disk?

The symbolic link, you find, will be for your disk, and not "disklabel",
and the uuid you find will not be fe76a058, but will be for your disk.

Just a thought.