Force usb drive to /dev/sdb1 ?

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Fri Jan 19 04:44:38 UTC 2007

I have a permanently connected usb hard drive for backups and it is
typically at /dev/sdb1. However, if I have other usb devices, such as a
SD card reader connected at boot, the backup drive moves to /dev/sdb2. I
do the backup by having cron run a script which mounts /dev/sdb1 and it
fails when the backup devices is at /dev/sdb2 (or it might mount the
card reader instead).

Is there a way to ensure that the backup usb drive is *always* /dev/sdb1
even when other usb devices are attached during boot?

Thanks,
-gene