Getting Fox News to work with Firefox

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jan 21 10:21:07 UTC 2007

Temlakos wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 13:44 -0500, Arch Willingham wrote:
>>
>>> I don't remember which post it was but I saw one a while ago about
>>> someone else not being able to get the video to work with videos on
>>> Fox News.
>>> I use FC6 and I had the same problem and found the solution at a
>>> place called greasemonkey.
>>>
>>> To get Fox News video to work:
>>>
>>> Install the firefox add-on greasemonkey:
>>> http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
>>>
>>> and then install the FoxNews Friendly Video script from the
>>> greasemonkey site: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1371, and it
>>> now works for me.
>>>
>>> You can see the details toward the bottom of the following threads:
>>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...hlight=foxnews
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233985&page=2
>>>

>> Am I the only one who finds this very frustration. To look at CNN news
>> you need one secret and FoxNews another secret, This does not speak well
>> for FC6 being a stable useful distribution. I know it is not supposed to
>> be. But there are limits it seems to me of how screwy even a Fedora
>> distribution is before it is worth releasing. And FC6 is the worst yet.
>> My FC4 and I assume my FC5 system can do both CNN news and FoxNews.
>>
> Are you sure? Well, of course you're sure, because it worked for you.
>
> But I found FC4 fraught with "little things" that never worked right.
> From the Recent Documents list that purged itself with every logout,
> to the entries in "Recent Documents" that wouldn't register with the
> application they were supposed to open with, to the videos that never
> /did/ work--and how do you know it's FC6's fault?
>
> No, the fault lies with content providers who won't agree to a fixed
> standard. If you need one secret with CNN and another with Fox, then
> blame either or both networks for putting proprietary things into
> their Flash content, or maybe blame Adobe for not coming out soon
> enough with a new release of Flash and making us wait more than half a
> year between Flash 7 and Flash 9 with nothing in between.
>
> But don't blame FC6. Fedora is a platform, and a very good one, and
> getting better all the time.
>
> Temlakos

This gets even worse [for me].

I never go to cnn.com but after reading Aaron's message I had to see
what was happening.  I clicked on a video selected at random and stuff
churned for a several minutes it seemed, I received a warning and told
it to continue, mplayer came up and began playing a bit of audio and
then died!  I could move the cursor around the screen normally but
nothing else.

The keyboard and mouse buttons do nothing!  I can't kill the display,
select another console, none of the usual things work.  All I can do is
force a reset with the power button.  I did rpm -e mplayer, it protested
about a dependent "plug-in" so I rpm -e'd that and reinstalled mplayer
via yum.  I still have the problem.

Before that one episode mplayer worked without a hitch?  I am convinced
something changed as a result of running that CNN video.  Whatever is
corrupted must be peripheral to mplayer?

I am running FC-6 which normally works well for me.

Bob Goodwin