Manageable installation

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 22 03:37:05 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 12:12 -0500, Joe_Wulf wrote:
> Building a system for a minimal installation to provide basic unix
> functionality without 'fluff' is a shot in the dark that will take
> many many installs to 'get right' based on the current approach.

It strikes me that the installer ought to offer a couple of choices
before and after you've picked your packages:

After:  Save this as a file, so you can repeat the process (on the same
machine or another).  Without you having to organise that post-install.

Before:  Use such a file on the installation.  Again, I see no need why
you should have to mess around with creating anaconda scripts, if you've
installed it once in a way that you're happy with, it ought to be easy
to duplicate it.

Beyond that thought, it annoys me how you'll deselect some particular
package from a group, then when you open up another group to customise,
that package has been selected again.  For instance, I dislike the BIND
GUI configuration tool.  I deselect it in one group (e.g. doodahs for
Gnome), but it's reselected in another (e.g. administration tools, or
whatever it's specifically called).  No, I don't recall the particular
groups it's in, but it's that sort of palaver.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.