Enabling wireless on Dell laptop

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Mon Jan 22 13:08:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 02:49:46PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 22/01/07, Dave Mitchell <davem at iabyn.com> wrote:
> >set up the freshrpms repo if you haven't already:
> >

> ># rpm -ivh
> >http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/6/freshrpms-release/freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm
> >

> >then install the driver, firmware and controlling daemon:
> >
> ># yum -y --enablerepo freshrpms install dkms-ipw3945 ipw3945d
> >ipw3945-firmware
> >

> Thanks, that was painless! Have I now 'picked sides', that means that
> I cannot now use Extras/Livna? I know that the repo camps are rather
> incompatable.

Personally I set 'enabled=0' in /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo so that it
doesn't clash with other repos when I update. (I guess this means I don't
automatically get updates for the wireless driver).

> KWifiManager for some reason is NOT findng the signal. But that's a
> different problam and a different thread I suppose. The WiFi LED is
> also not lit.

If you haven't rebooted, then you'll need to start it by hand the first
time. Try:

    # modprobe ipw3945
    # ipw3945d

then

    # iwconfig

should show a device, and

    # iwlist scan

should show your access point(s).

I use Network Manager, so I can't comment on KWifiManager setup.

--
Gravity is just a theory; teach Intelligent Falling in our schools!
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512