Enabling wireless on Dell laptop

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 22 17:18:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 16:46 +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:37:14PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm not too shy to use Network Manager. I looked into Network Manager,
> > but it's a bit beyond me. Would you excuse my request of hand-holding
> > and hint me in the right direction? Or, better yet, a tutorial. I've
> > not googled anything aimed at the naive first timer.
>
> Well, assuming you're using GNOME:
>
> this worked for me:
>
> # yum -y install caching-nameserver NetworkManager-vpnc
>
> # chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on
> # chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManagerDispatcher on
> # chkconfig --level 345 dhcdbd on
> append to /etc/sysconfig/named :
>
>     OPTIONS="-D"

In FC6 adding this option to /etc/sysconfig/named is not needed. Taken
from /etc/sysconfig/named:

# DISABLE_NAMED_DBUS=[1y]--  If NetworkManager is enabled in any
# runlevel, then the initscript will by default enable named's D-BUS
# support with the named -D option. This setting disables
# this behavior.

Thanks for the dhcdbd reminder. I had totally forgotten about that one.

Regards,
Patrick