Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jan 22 17:57:37 UTC 2007

Rolf Gerrits wrote:

>> My harddisk says "klick" ( parking I presume ) for no apparent reason
>> ( that I can think of ) and my freezes or reboots.
>> I cannot find any hints in the logfiles what causes this.
>>
>> I need some hints / suggestions where to look / test I can do / ....
>> before I buy a new harddisk.
>> .... I am going nuts with this....
>>
>> Info:
>> 1. just my desktop ( gnome ) will crash after 1-2 days
>> 2. if I reset - due to a freeze - sometimes the harddisk says "click"
>> BEFORE Grub starts (sits on MBR) .
>> 3. This started after I installed GKrellM (could be a coincedent) ....
>> removing GKrellM did not solve anything (maybe broke something ? )
>> 4. I removed "hddtemp" and "cpufreq" services ( the latter won't work
>> for my hardware anyway ... so it says )
>> 5. I have removed some corrupted files and my harddisks are free of
>> badbloks or things like that.
>>
>> HELP !!
>>
> Replying to my own mail here, for something I forgot ...
> 6. I am running FC4 at the moment.
> 7. I tried to install FC6 on a free part of my harddisk and this failed
> hopelessly.
> Booted from DVD .... could fill out what I wanted ... , but it NEVER
> gets around to installing anything because my harddisk gives a click and
> the system reboots.
> I finally managed to install FC4 in stead of FC6 from DVD , but with the
> same problems.
> 8. I disabled SELinux ( not removed ) -> no difference....
>
> Rolf

I had a similar problem late last year.  My new power supply (5 months
old) in my desktop wasn't putting out the correct voltage on the +5V
rail.  The drive would click and then stop.  As it was one of the RAID 1
drives, this was causing me some headaches.  Any drive tests showed the
drive to be okay.  Changing the power supply fixed the issue.  Did a
full drive test on the drive before putting it back in.  No issues
showed up.

If you can, check the power supply voltages.
--
Robin Laing