Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

Jose Celestino japc at co.sapo.pt
Mon Jan 22 21:43:59 UTC 2007

Words by Aaron Konstam [Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 04:43:08PM -0600]:
> On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 11:09 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> > Tom Horsley wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> > > In fact, while we're at it - never have another "release", just keep
> > > upgrading rpms forever with individual packages being released,
> > > but nothing called a whole distribution having a release. Individual
> > > rpms just get marked obsolete and replaced with new ones in the
> > > ever updated lists.
> > >
> > > Now *that* would be a Knight in shining armor! Fedora 7 is a mere
> > > feeble imitation in comparison :-).
> > >
> > > [Just don't ask me to do any of the work :-].
> > >

> > Now, this is a great idea.  No more worrying about upgrades or do I have
> > enough time before the next release to make all the changes.  What about
> > he secondary repositories for things that will never be in Fedora proper
> > that you have to wait to be released.
> >
> > I would like to see Fedora 7 or Fedora 8 become just Fedora and then no
> > more 6 month release dates.  Just updates to what would be the next release.
> >
> > --
> > Robin Laing
> >
> I second or third this suggestion. It is tiring every 6 months to have
> to start from scratch so to speak.
> --

No start from scratch. I, for instance, don't do a fresh install since
begining of 2001. With more or less work upgrades have sufficed until
now. And upgrades are smoother each day, latelly with yum the work is
almost null.

But, as someone else pointed out, some stuff is hard to automaticaly
upgrade.

--
Jose Celestino
http://www.msversus.org/     ; http://techp.org/petition/show/1