Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 23 01:52:42 UTC 2007

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> In the Fedora Core 6 install, it asked if you wanted to have access
> to the "extras".  If you answered yes, it set enough networking to
> go out to extras to get the other packages.  This means this capability
> is currently available in anaconda.  With three separate DVD's for
> desktop, kde-desktop and server, why not use this functionality and
> and ask (say for the desktop ISO) do you want to include server
> features?
> and do you want to include KDE features?  If the answer is yes,
> set up the link to the repos just like is done for extra's in FC6.
> This way you effectively have the full set of packages for all
> versions and if you choose wisely, the bulk of them will be on
> the DVD.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Bob

I like the idea where you could download all of the install medium
models and use all three for a more complete install. I use packages
from all models that are proposed. Some of the machines will not be
networked directly to the outside so grabbing packages from a web server
would not be possible for some situations that I will probably need.

I also like the idea of a progressive distribution where the packages
are continually being improved. I do recognize that there might need to
be incorporated some sort of mini-installer for major changes such as
improvements in filesystems like ext4 or improvements in LVM and similar
circumstances.

The install that I find works the best for me is development and it is
continually cycling through improvements but lately the improvements
were not heavily intrusive. (except for a glibc, an X server problem
related to fonts and a problem related to ORBit2 and at-spi causing a
crash on exit  for certain programs.)

I also like the idea of what was said about how gentoo sets profiles
where a link would only need updated to advance the installation path.

Anyway, I'll probably multiple boot all of the proposed models for
Fedora 7 and see how each model works. I could then determine which
model would be a good starting core to get the computer setup with
programs that I use. I am in favor of the progressive distribution model
or rolling release.

I'll grab the Fedora 7 betas for test1 once they are released. (and I
know about them)

Jim

--
He who slings mud generally loses ground.
		-- Adlai Stevenson