Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 03:05:07 UTC 2007

William Case wrote:

>>> On the other hand  -- there are people like me who like to play around
>>> with Fedora; adding new programs that hardly get used; trying out
>>> different configurations; experimenting and learning.  Doing a new
>>> version install lets me get rid of all the cruff and start over every so often.
>>>

>> So what happens after you've learned something and are ready to do
>> some real work with your system - and then next time that cruft is
>> something worth saving?
>>

> Why then, I add the additional programs I want to the fresh install and
> backup the configuration files I want to keep.  It is still easier than
> trying to undo all the havoc I might have created over the last six
> months.

But you won't always be a beginner creating havoc.   You'll get to the
point where
you set something up that runs for a year doing something useful
without  attention
and you might think that was pretty good.  Then when you manage a few
hundred
such boxes, you'll wonder why you are still re-installing one from
scratch  every
day.

--
  Les Mikesell