Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 23 06:43:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 01:12 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> Tim, back to ohm's law, wouldn't low voltage also make it run hot???

No.  Voltage and current are inter-related.  If a power supply is losing
the ability to "supply," the current will go down.  Correspondingly, the
voltage will reduce at the same time (due to lack of supply).

It's not a see-saw arrangement where one goes up while the other goes
down, so that the wattage stays the same.  Certainly not in this sort of
power system.  These try and regulate the current to produce a constant
voltage.

Though, if you've got a supply going wonky, where it's starting to pass
badly filtered AC (DC with lots of ripples), you might get a lower
voltage reading on a meter, but still be producing enough current so
that regulators are working harder than usual trying to regulate the
current.  They'll get hot.

> With all of the crappy capacitors blowing up and power supplies really
> needing to be of higher capacity with all the Geez Whiz! things now on
> the motherboards, I'd sure look hard at that power supply and what
> it's putting out, from my own experiences. Ric

Oh yes.  I'd be suspicious of power supplies, but wonky components is
nothing new (it's been the bane of television sets for 40-50 years).
Likewise, with inadequate ventilation, whether due to bad design or
installation.  And it doesn't help when manufactures stick the most
temperature sensitive components right next to the things that generate
the most heat.  Guess what, guys, you can use both sides of a PCB:  Put
the caps on one side, & the hot things with the heatsink on the other!

I dislike towers, but where I use them, I'm apt to have a fan at the
bottom front sucking in air, and a fan at the top rear exhausting air.
It minimises recirculating the same air, and the front of the PC is less
likely to be blocked.  Also, it avoids sucking air in through the
drives, as happens with systems that only have an exhaust fan.

For desktop case a similar strategy applies:  Take air in one side,
exhaust out the opposite side.

I prefer desktop cases, they're less likely to be on the floor sucking
in dirt, the drives are where you can reach them to change discs, the
cables between things are shorter (or don't need longer ones to reach -
we've had towers for years, but mice and keyboards still have too-short
cables), and you can sit the monitor on top of them (getting up to a
better height, as well as waste less desk space).  ;-)

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.