vmware

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Jan 23 13:26:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Kam Leo wrote:

>> > Thanks. You're correct. I may be getting into a bad habit of relying
>> > on bash's tab-completion feature and in the process overlooking the
>> > entire command.
>>
>> In fact, you shouldn't have vmware-config.pl anywhere on a guest unless
>> you are planning to run a nested guest (which may not even be possible).
>>
>> If you installed the VMwareWorkstation RPM in your guest, you should
>> remove it.
>
> Why? I might really be testing deep virtualization.
>
> Seriously, sloppyness on my part created an erroneous reference to
> vmware-config.pl. I should have referenced vmware-config-tools.pl.

So, seriously, is your problem now solved?

vmware-config-tools.pl refers to /etc/vmware-tools/.  vmware-config.pl
refers to /etc/vmware/.  Normally, a Linux host would have the former and
a Linux guest would have the latter, and not vice versa.  So it still
seems odd that you were running vmware-config.pl in a Linux guest and
getting any outcome other than "command not found" (unless, as you
say...).  And it still seems odd that you would have vmware-config.pl
anywhere and be missing /etc/vmware/.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences