Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Tue Jan 23 13:25:49 UTC 2007

Em Sábado 20 Janeiro 2007 00:59, Rahul Sundaram escreveu:
> Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:41:03 -0500, taharka wrote:
> >> Fedora Core 6 was released on October 24, 2006 and scheduled to come out
> >> a half-year later is the seventh major release for the Fedora Project.
> >> However, unlike Yarrow, Tettnang, Heidelberg, Stentz, Bordeaux, and Zod,
> >> Fedora 7 is shaping up to be the most ambitious release yet. With all
> >> the work and reform going into Fedora 7 it poses the question, will
> >> Fedora 7 be Linux's knight in shining armor?
> >>
> >> Full article at;
> >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=627&num=1
> >>
> >> taharka
> >>
> >> Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
> >
> > I'm kind of wary about this division into desktop, kde-desktop and
> > server. Will they all come on the same dvd, or do I have to select which
> > one to download before installing? If they come separate, and I select
> > (gnome) desktop, say, does it mean I can't run k3b or qtparted? Does it
> > mean I can't install apache?
>
> Of course you can. You just have to install them. The spins define what
> packages are in the media.

Ok, but will these spins be CD ISO images or DVD ISO images? If I download the
desktop or KDE spins, will I have to download server packages separately,
among with the applications for the other GUI? Will Fedora become like
[KU]buntu, where you have a CD ISO to do the installation and everything else
should be downloaded from on-line repos? If this is the case, I think it's a
step back, specially for those with low speed connections, who could just
copy a DVD ISO from someone else with a high speed connection.

I've seen in the Fedora Schedule that the first test version of Fedora 7 is
available today. Where do I download it from?

Thanks,

Marcelo