Cannot start laptop - Grub prompt

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Thu Jan 25 02:48:31 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 03:27 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks. I had to reinstall the OS. And just hitting that damn button
> nukes anything that's not Windows on the hardrive.

Hi Dotan,

My recent experience with Dell laptops (those with XP) is that they have
2 partitions, one of which is a recovery partition that is normally
hidden. There is either a special key or hot-key combination that will
kick in the recovery process. Not sure if you may have the budget for
another hard drive, or if the laptop's hard drive is easily accessible,
but replacing the default hard drive with a new hard drive with no
hidden partitions may help. I wouldn't recommend wiping away the hidden
partition in the default hard drive because you never know when you may
need to install Windows (maybe just to read badly-formatted reports that
would not display in OOo).

HTH
pascal chong