How can one install Fedora without a DVD or CDROM available from iso images? (grub entry?)

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 05:59:41 UTC 2007

On 1/24/07, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:

> Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> >   How to install FC6 without cdrom?  my cdrom is no longer
> > working...floppy works, bios too old to boot from usb flash; computer
> > does have usb though;
> >
> >   I've been trying to setup a ftp or http install but I haven't got that
> > working yet either...

There's not much setting up involved with doing an http/ftp install.  Just
remember to write down the address of a near by fedora mirror (
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html) and the path to the os
directory before you start, ie.

http://redhat.secsup.org/fedora/core/6/i386/os/  (or whatever architecture
you have).

What I like about this install method is I don't waste blank CDs and I don't
have to monitor the install and swap CDs when prompted.  I can start the
process before going to bed, and it'll be done installing in the morning.  I
haven't burned an ISO since FC3.

Also, I really hate CDs and I can't wait for the world to move on from this
technology.

--
Dylan

Type faster.  Use Dvorak: