mount problem

T. Horsnell tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 26 14:37:37 UTC 2007

>I have a partition for holding temporary large files, which fstab causes to be
>mounted as ro for user.  I tried changing fstab as so:
>
>LABEL=/mnt/Holding      /mnt/Holding            ext3    user,rw         1 2
>
>saved, then
>
>mount -a
>
>ls -l /mnt/
>total 24
>drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4096 Feb 25  2006 FC4home
>drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Nov  1 10:38 FC4root
>drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4096 Jan 25 19:10 Holding
>
>ls -l /mnt/Holding
>total 40
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Jan 26 11:17 Egypt
>drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Nov  1 10:45 lost+found
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Apr 18  2006 MickyAndy
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Jan 11 13:45 RomanticRoad2
>
>I do need to be able to utilise space in these directories.  What am I
>missing?

If your problem is that the directories are still owned by root,
then simply changing from user,ro to user,rw wont fix that.

ro/rw affects the writeablity at the device level, not at the
per-user level. It wont change ownership of the directories
on the device.

What did you hope would happen? Did you want the directories
to become owned by the user who mounted the device?

Cheers,
Terry.