Chkrootkit warning

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 22:06:07 UTC 2007

Checking `crontab'... Warning: crontab for nobody found, possible
Lupper.Worm... not infected
********

a) Lupper.Worm apparently attacks linux web servers.  I don't run a web
server, on that or any other box on the lan.

b) Symptoms

Presence of one or more the following files:

    * /tmp/lupii
    * /tmp/listen
    * /tmp/update.listen
    * /tmp/listen.log

None are present

One or more of the following ports are listening/sending:

    * UDP 7111
    * UDP 7222
    * UDP 27015
    * UDP 25555

All these are reported as Stealthed by GRC.

crontab'... Warning: crontab for nobody found, possible Lupper.Worm... not
infected

The message is very puzzling.  It specifically says 'not infected', and my
checks seem to agree with this.

I don't know why it talks about crontab for nobody.

cat /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=anne at lydgate.net
HOME=/
# run-parts
1 * * * *       root    run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
#
2 4 * * *       root    run-parts /etc/cron.daily
#
22 4 * * 7      root    run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
#
42 4 1 * *      root    run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

I've checked kcron, and while nobody is present, as indeed he is on this box
too, no tasks are set for him.

I can't see what else to check.

Anne