Kmail offline

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 27 04:19:30 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 18:47, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I wish I had your luck girl, or some of it would rub off on me.  Its
>> been a while but I don't recall even being able to do startx as
>> gene, ISTR it brought up the X in the middle of the screen, and then
>> went away in another 2-3 seconds.
>
>Something else is wrong if you can't run startx as a normal user.
>SELinux isn't that restrictive.  You'd really want to look at the
>errors on the console or in the X log to see why it failed.
>
>> Things would be a heck of a lot easier to test if I could just goto
>> tty2's screen, login as gene, and start a second session of x as me.
>
>Why can't you?  Are you specifying a different displaynumber?

It claims the server is already in use.

>> But that upchucked and rebooted me the last time I had that oh so
>> brilliant idea.

But it was dead stable this time.  Even when I ran sytem-config-display,
which needed the root pw, and ran x just fine, but when done, it wrote to
the system file in /etc/X11 rather than mine.

>It's rather hard to guess what all would have to be broken for that to
>happen.  It's certainly not normal. :)
>
>> That would probably need more ram and this board is tapped out at
>> 1gb of ram now.
>
>1GB of memory is more than enough to run two X sessions comfortably.
>You can even configure GDM to start two login windows.  Or use the
>gdmflexiserver to launch a new login from withing your current login
>session.

'twould be nice if I could figure it out.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)