Step by step instructions for KVM network on Fedora

Daniel Qarras dqarras at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 12:54:50 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I've played with Xen on my FC6 and it's been working fine. Now I'm
testing KVM with a 2.6.20 rc kernel, it's working nicely, too, but I'm
unable to setup a full-blown networking, i.e., a mode where also
icmp/udp work. User-mode networking works well, e.g., yum and firefox
run just fine under KVM.

Could someone please post a step by step list how to enable
non-usermode networking with KVM/QEMU on Fedora Core 6? I've googled
for this and found instructions (mostly for Debian) but I've not been
able to set up this on FC6.

(My test machine has one NIC with a 10.x.x.x address in an intranet. I
would want that my KVM guests have, e.g., 192.168.x.x static addresses
and they can ping each other, the host machine, and access outside
world with tcp/udp/icmp etc. So something what Xen does now
automatically on Fedora. Connection initiated from outside world are
not essential but would of course be a nice bonus.)