Firefox opens rpms in new window on download

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 28 15:33:30 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 15:26 -0600, rwhart at mchsi.com wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 January 2007 20:18, rwhart at mchsi.com wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>   My problem seems more general.  Upon attempted download with or
> >> without holding down the shift key, firefox opens the file in a new
> >> browser window.  I can't identify anything out of the ordinary in
> >> about:config settings for firefox.  Ideas please.  Is this a problem
> >> with FC6 IA64.  I don't seem to find it listed.
> >>

> > Check Edit > Preferences > Downloads > View & Edit Actions
> >
> > BIN	BIN file	Save to Disk
> >
> > Anne
> >
> Anne,
>   I checked that.  On firefox 1.5.0.9 when I open up Edit >Preferences >
> Downloads > View and Edit Actions the list is blank.  The problem is I
> cannot figure out how to add an item as you describe to the list.  Where
> is the list stored or how do you edit this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob

try this:

"In the past, you could tell mozilla how to handle a media file. They
changed in Firefox, but there's a way to bring that feature back. In
Firefox, type about:config at the url and find

browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions

Double click on it to set it to false. Then under
Edit->Preferences->Downloads you should see all the media types
Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the double lock will keep; May no
brick through the window break, And, no one rob me till I awake.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net