fstab messed up: stuck in boot process; help needed!

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 28 14:26:16 UTC 2007

Hi,

  By accident I have put an entry to /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2 in my
  /etc/fstab, although there's no 2nd harddisk in my system.
  When I rebooted, the boot process gets stuck during or
  after the fsck and stops with the message to enter the
  root password for maintenance.
  When I do that, I get the prompt "(Repair filesystem)".

  I thought I now simply edit and correct the /etc/fstab file and
  reboot; but, damn, the root filesystem is mounted as readonly.
  Whatever I do, it remains readonly.

  Actually, I find this a rather silly situation: I get a readonly
  filesystem for maintenance. What the hack can that help me....

  Anyway, can someone please tell me what to do in this case.

  Thank you very much!
  Rob.