Way to make distant servers to appear to have the same data ?

Gordon Charrick gordonmc at cox.net
Sun Jan 28 15:52:38 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:
> What is the most effective, most robust way to allow servers that are
> quite distant, and on slow networks "appear" to have the same content ?
>
> In my example, the content is read/write at 4 sites. Hopefully the
> system should make caching possible for files that were originally at
> another site. If a file were not already cached, then it would get
> loaded across the slow network.
>
> redhat global file system appears to be designed to do this:
> http://linux.sys-con.com/read/166309_2.htm
> but then talks about storage area network or LAN connections rather than
>  slow wan links.
>
> http://www.drbd.org/ raid across machines?
>
> I did see a few other projects designed to solve this sort of problem,
> but I am having trouble finding them now {search hints ?}
>
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/ljpaper/lj.html
>
> Has anybody used / appraised coda ?
>
> David Timms.

OpenAFS (http://www.openafs.org) is the perfect piece of software for
this. We used the commercial version of this way back in the 90's when I
worked for NIH. It's designed for WAN's and uses a local cache for
content. It is somewhat complicated so it's not some install it and run
it application.

Gordon