Network card crashes system on boot if connected?

Scott Evans sae at crossbucks.com
Mon Jan 29 06:08:01 UTC 2007

Got another small issue with my new Linux install...

I have a Rosewill RC-402 10/100 network card installed, and have just
started using FC5.  No previous Linux install on this box.  Although it
connects to the network fine and dandy, it will hard-lock the whole system
on bootup if the network cable is connected.  If the cable is not
connected, it'll boot fine and then I'm able to enable the network card
manually and connect just fine.  However, if the cable is connected when
it's in the startup process, it'll do a hard-lock on the whole system.

The startup details show the loopback interface coming up fine, and then
the next message says "Bringing up interface eth0:", and it immediately
locks at that point.

I have been able to narrow it down to the point where the startup is running

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth ifcfg-eth0

But don't know enough of what the ifup-eth script is doing to troubleshoot
the issue any more than that.

This wouldn't be a big problem, except the box is in an unattended area,
and it will be a pain to manually unplug the cable each time the box is
rebooted.

Thanks!
Scott