audio problems in fc 6

Manu G.V ajeet3047 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 12:39:47 UTC 2007

hi,
    when I try this command
$cat "file name" > /dev/dsp
   I don't get any beep sound and there were no errors even. I don't
understand(Iam an end user) what is the problem. I installed torcs and tried
all audio options but there was no sound. I was told to try above command to
find whether my audio worked properly or not. I thought if there is no beep
sound then there is some problem with audio. Is  there any relationship
between the above command and problem with the sound in torcs. I have
"nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio" device.
I would be really thankful if anyone can tell me what is the problem and
suggest a solution for it.

--
manu