Can't play WMV in Kaffeine

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 18:04:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 10:56 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em Segunda 29 Janeiro 2007 10:41, Dotan Cohen escreveu:

> > Thanks. I downloaded and untared the files, but Kaffiene returns the
> > same error. Does this look logical to you:
> >
> > # pwd
> > /usr/lib/win32/essential-20060611
> > # ls
> > acelpdec.ax          ir50_32.dll                  README
> > vssh264core.dll alf2cd.acm           ivvideo.dll
> > rt32dcmp.dll  vssh264dec.dll aslcodec_dshow.dll   jp2avi.dll
> >    sipr.so.6.0   vssh264.dll atrac3.acm           LCMW2.dll
> >    tm20dec.ax    vsshdsd.dll atrc.so.6.0          LCODCCMW2E.dll
> >    tokf.so.6.0   vsslight.dll AvidQTAVUICodec.qtx  lhacm.acm
> >     tokr.so.6.0   vsswlt.dll BeHereiVideo.qtx     lsvxdec.dll
> >    tvqdec.dll    wma9dmod.dll CLRVIDDC.DLL         m3jp2k32.dll
> >     VDODEC32.dll  wmadmod.dll clrviddd.dll         mi-sc4.acm
> >     vdowave.drv   wmsdmod.dll cook.so              msh261.drv
> >     vid_3ivX.xa   wmspdmod.dll CtWbJpg.DLL          msms001.vwp
> >      ViVD2.dll     wmv9dmod.dll DECVW_32.DLL         msscds32.ax
> >       vivog723.acm  wmvadvd.dll drvc.so              nsrt2432.acm
> >       vmnc.dll      wmvdmod.dll dspr.so.6.0          qpeg32.dll
> >       voxmsdec.ax   wnvwinx.dll iac25_32.ax          qtmlClient.dll
> >       vp4vfw.dll    wvc1dmod.dll icmw_32.dll
> > QuickTimeEssentials.qtx      vp5vfw.dll
> > imc32.acm            QuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx  vp6vfw.dll
> > ir41_32.dll          QuickTime.qts                vp7vfw.dll
> > #
> >
> > I don't want to install from dries as I use Livna and don't want to mix
> > repos.
<snip>
> 2. Kaffeine may be configured to look for codecs in other place.  Take a look
> at Settings -> Xine engine parameters -> Decoder -> Basic options. Mine is
> configured to look for the codecs in /usr/lib/codecs.

I think you hit it on the head... I beleive those codecs are supposed to
be in /usr/lib/codecs and/or /usr/lib/win32
not  /usr/lib/codecs/essential-20060611. I usually install to one of
these two directories and make the other link to it. In your case do
this after mv'ing those files down to /usr/lib/codecs
ln -s /usr/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32  to make the link from win32 to
codecs. Now you have the bases all covered. No matter which, it'll find
it. I think I got it right. <g> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net