Howto open xterm to another X virtual monitor

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Mon Jan 29 18:46:07 UTC 2007

David Kovalsky írta:
> Dario Lesca wrote:
>
>> Hi! ... from a gnome-terminal if I run "xterm &" the xterm is open on
>> current desktop; it's possible open it on another desktop?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>

> `xterm -display $DISPLAY'
>
> could be what you are looking for

That won't work. He asked about opening it on another
"virtual desktop" which is neither a "display" neither a
"screen" in the sense X uses them.
E.g.: "xterm -display :0.0" opens the xterm on the same
desktop. If you are running another X server and can
connect to it, you can do "xterm -display :1.0".
And if you have two monitors in non-Xinerama mode,
you can also do "xterm -display :0.1" But that doesn't
answer the original question. How can one open a window
on another (virtual) desktop, which is in the realm of the WM?