Bash globbing files only?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 29 23:05:23 UTC 2007

On 29Jan2007 13:57, Jacques B. <jjrboucher at gmail.com> wrote:
| >Yes, I am painfully aware of the power of zsh :) But in this case I
| >need to do my script with bash and it seems that although globbing for
| >directories is trivial ( */ ) there is no similar pattern to match
| >files.
|
| I don't know if it's just me, but I tried your syntax to list
| directories and that doesn't work for me.
| You use:  $ ls [^.]*/
| correct?
| All that does on my system is list all files, including files in any
| subfolders within the current directory. Basically seems to do the
| exact same as if I do: $ ls *

Got an alias for "ls"? Try:

  unalias ls
  ls -d */

The -d says don't treat directories specially (normally ls lists
directory _contents_ if a directory is named).
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

C'mon. Take the plunge. By the time you go through rehab the first time,
you'll be surrounded by the most interesting people, and if it takes years
off of your life, don't sweat it. They'll be the last ones anyway.
        - Vinnie Jordan, alt.peeves