[Fedora] Re: RPM Updates

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 00:25:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 15:57 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>     My problem with yum is that I can never get it to work properly with
> a local repository and other (remote) ones.  It always complained about
> one thing or another, where I can stoke a fire under RPM and off it
> goes.  I'm sure it's all in the configuration but I've never been able
> to figure out exactly what the problem is (or was.)

I hate the mirrorlist.
It is a good idea - but the problem is that the mirrors are not always
in sync with each other, so yum tries to get a package from a mirror
that does not have it yet.

What I do - I run a local mirror on my lan. Nightly is uses rsync to
sync with another mirror (I think at kernel.org but I'm not sure) for
both updates and extras. That way all my boxes use a single local mirror
on my lan - which rsyncs with a single remote mirror - and things go a
lot smoother.

That takes both broadband and disk space though. Currently for i386 my
mirror of core,updates,extra is about 14GB (14014 1MB blocks) - I know
because /srv is its own partition and it is the only thing on it right
now on that box. But it solves the mirrorlist and repos not being in
sync with each other problem.