[Fedora] Re: FC6 not connecting

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Tue Jan 30 20:52:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:27:09 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> OK, fine -- how do I find out?
>     Have you tried my previous suggestion?  Grep for eth in
> /var/log/messages (instead of dmesg):
>
>     grep eth /var/log/messages
>
>     What's the result?

I get about  2 1/2 or 3 screens of stuff. I also did  grep eth
/var/log/messages > eth-messages.txt, which worked. What's more, so did cp
eth-messages.txt /home/btth and then (as root in /home/btth) chown -v btth
eth-messages.txt, which told me it had changed ownership to btth.

But I can't seem to get K3B to see that my CD drive (an HP CD-Writer) on
that machine can in fact burn CDs; nor can I dig up from ancient memory
how to copy it onto a floppy.

Therefore, since the old P2 also can't see the router (I checked the
cables!), and therefore isn't likely to be able to do scp, I can't seem to
get the file into anywhere I can email or post it from. Catch-22 ...

>     As for modules, if any, you can type 'lsmod' at the command line to
> see what's (currently) loaded.  I'd also look at the contents of
> /etc/modprobe.conf to see if it's doing anything with eth0 at all
> (assuming it sees it):  cat /etc/modprobe.conf

lsmod from a root prompt gets me "bash: lsmod: command not found"

cat /etc/modprobe.conf from the same root prompt gets :

alias eth0 e100
alias eth1 3c501