Printing header in Firefox -

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 22:36:51 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 16:08, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>I often print pages that I bind and save from firefox.  It is supposed
>to print the Title and URL as a header on each page however all I ever
>get is the very bottom of the letters, not enough to even guess at the
>words.
>
>I have tried all the available settings but with no success. Print
>Preview shows the header perfectly but unfortunately the printed page
>does not.
>
>This problem is peculiar to Firefox, Openoffice prints headers and
>footers without a problem.  I am running Firefox version 1.5.0.9 and FC6
>updated this morning.
>
>Any thoughts on what I might do to fix this?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bob Goodwin

Its not a firefox problem Bob, its probably your printer, and a missmatch
of its ppd settings.

I am, today, for the first time ever, seeing all the header and footers FF
puts in its printouts.  The joy and ecstasy of knowing what page I'm
reading knows no bounds now.

1. Printer is an elderly Epson C82, system is FC6, quite up2date.
2. I've just last night, built and used checkinstall (that's a trip into
lala land in itself) the gutenprint20070129 snapshot, with the following
configure options given as commited to a bash script:

#!/bin/bash
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-cups --enable-cups-ppds --enable-cups-level3-ppds --with-gimp2 --with-gimp2-as-gutenprint --enable-libgutenprintui2 --enable-gtk2

3. make clean;make
4. checkinstall -R --inspect
and clean up the mess it makes, both in the rpm header data and the
filelist that will be included in the rpm.
5. install the rpm it makes which will probably need the --force option
too if you've put in previous snapshots.
6. Go thru the localhost:631/printers configurations for both the printer
ppd and its options.
a. Since the C82 officially doesn't do borderless, in the ppd selection
screen select the C83, which does do them.
b. in the options screen for that printers profile, click borderless to
yes. Finish up. Print a test page, should be full bleed all around.
7. goto some web page you want to print and do it. As if by magic, the 7
of the 7 of 24 message at the left end of the footer appears on the
printout, and by the same magic all the characters of the header are
printed, edge to edge, but it sure beats clipping them off by
artificially enforcing the side borders.

When you run the gimp, it will now have a print with gutenprint selection
in the file menu, and there will also be a print selection if
gimp-print-4.2.7 is co-installed, but it can be removed with an rpm -e.

Also, the gimp plugin of gutenprint creates and stores its own profiles
independently of cups, so you can reset those for the gimps use without
effecting the cups settings.

Another gotcha is that cups scans the /usr/share/cups/model/* tree to
populate its ppd selection window with, doing this without regard for any
renaming you might do beyond that point in the tree.  This can confuse
the unwary by giving you multiple copies of old ppds in the chooser
window.  Since ppd's are now built on the fly, rename or delete that
model directory so that you will know you are using the very latest,
built on the fly versions.

This is a work in progress so pick a weekend when you don't have anything
else to do.  The snapshot seems to be updated about every other day.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)