Inconsistent behaviour of menus

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Wed Jan 31 11:20:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 08:18:52AM -0800, spmirowski wrote:

> >From: Alexander Volovics <awol at home.nl>

> >If you click on 'Applications', 'Places' or 'System' on the panel
> >you can, seemingly at random, get:
> >- the full menu
> >- a truncated menu with scroll arrows

> This an age old bug/feature of Gnome.  It occurs when there is a program
> update or software install that adds or repopulates the Gnome menus.  If
> you don't run Gnome while getting updates or log out and in (of Gnome)
> after getting updates or installing programs that add menu entries, your
> menus should refresh without scrolling.

It is indeed an old 'feature' of Gnome, but after all these years
I started wondering why there seems to be no systematic or controllable
behaviour.

But I doubt that there is any simple/direct relation with getting updates
or added menu entries as you can get a truncated menu on first
opening and then a full menu when opening a second time and vice versa.

Anyway the point might become moot with Gnome-2.18 as the system
of cascading menus is probably going to be replaced with a 'control center'
(a la Window's 'control panel') and this might change the behaviour
of the menus.

Alexander