associating extensions with applications

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Wed Jan 31 16:14:58 UTC 2007

I am not sure what the "GUI" (e.g. gnome) use to identify applications.

As to file types, the standard from a command window is to use the
"file" utility, as in
    file   someFileName
The file utility uses a traditional file identification system known
as the "magic" system.  This system has been enhanced over the years,
but basically reads a certain number of bytes from the beginning
of a file and then uses a pattern matching technique against a list
of patterns.  The first match then identifies the type of file.

On a machine here, the patterns are in the file /usr/share/file/magic.
It is interesting to browse that file.  Also
    man magic
in a command window gives further information.

Does anyone know whether the desktops (e.g. gnome) are using this
infrastructure (the "magic" system) or have implemented an
independent system for linking applications to files?

Also, I presume that, even if the "magic" system is used to identify
the file type, there must be somewhere in the gnome (or other desktop)
infrastructure that ties an actual application to a file type, e.g.
OpenOffice word processor to word perfect files.  Does anyone know
where that linkage is done?