FC6 not connecting -- amplification

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Jan 31 20:27:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:48:15 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:

> You have to enable it to boot at startup or enable it through the
> interface. I believe either typing neat or system-config-network or
> getting to it through the system/administration/network menu would allow
> you to adjust the settings.

OK, typing "neat" and <enter> from a root prompt gets the GUI I've been
mostly using. Clicking the activate mark, with either eth0 or eth1
highlighted, gets me an error message saying the device seems not to be
present.

> It should also tell you under the hardware tab what type of network card
> it thinks you have on the computer.

On that tab, it calls eth0 an Intel EthernetExpress/100 drive -- and eth1
a 3Com 3c501 -- and says both are configured. The IPSec tab, btw, shows a
check mark under Profile, Host2Host under Type, 192.168.x.y (the correct
number, under which I access the router from any browser on any other
machine) under Destination, and "netgear" -- the nickname I gave the
router yesterday -- under Nickname.

> In the DNS tab should be your hostname, primary and secondary DNS and
> the search path for the DNS.

Everything there was blank. I simply copied verbatim from what I see on a
connecting machine.

It still wouldn't simply activate either eth, but did tell me (as it has
so often) that I might want to restart network services or the machine.
The command "services network restart" gets me only an error saying it's
not recognized. I rebooted. /sbin/ifconfig after the reboot still shows
only the loopback running, with no mention of ethX.

> My logic is that it must have configured some type of card since you
> said that you could choose static or DHCP.
>
> If you highlight the device and choose edit, you should see a checkmark
> next to the "Activate device when computer starts"

Yup. I do.

> For the other choice, it should be set to "automatically obtain IP
> address settings with dhcp"

Yup. It is.

> For finding out the type of NIC is using from the command terninal,
> lspci should show all the info for your PCI devices.

lspci as root still shows me only "bash: lspci: command not found"

> To find out the driver loaded for the card, lsmod should show you which
> module driver was loaded for the card.

again, not found. The first character in each of those *is* lower case L,
isn't it, not the number 1??

Fedora Core 6; CXO 5.0.1; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.119; Privoxy 3.0.3;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.16, Opera 9.02, Firefox 1.5