problems recording DVD

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Jan 31 23:31:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, alan wrote:

>>> # dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/hdc
>>> INQUIRY:                [SONY    ][DVD RW DW-G120A ][MYS1]
>>> GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
>>>  Mounted Media:         1Ah, DVD+RW
>>>  Media ID:              OPTODISC/OP4
>
> Here is the problem.
>
> According the media guide on digitalfaq.com, OPTODISC is "4th class media".
> They describe 4th class as "Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about
> 0-50% success rate".
>
> you need to find a better supply of DVD media.

Also, after looking at the media guide, I am not certain if it is actually
rewritable media in the first place.  The drive does RW, but the media may
not be RW.

Where did you get the media?  What brand does it claim to be?

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                   - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark