RAID suggestions...

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Jan 1 02:48:23 UTC 2007

    I'm looking at setting up a RAID system for doing video work.  My
two main requirements are speed and reliability.  Speed is an issue
because of the constant streaming of hundreds of megabytes, if not
gigabytes of data that is inherent with video.  And obviously
reliability, I want to make sure I don't lose any data of a drive
crashes on me.  This will also be a hardware RAID solution (as opposed
to software) and, depending on funds, I may try to make it a
hot-swappable system.

    Based on all the different RAID levels out there, what does the
collective suggest?  1? 3? 5? 0+1?