DVD problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 23:06:41 UTC 2007

On Monday 01 January 2007 20:49, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > Thanks for the info, Paulo.  I'm not very au fait with codecs, which is
> > why I asked.  It's not really 'my thing', but it is nice, sometimes to be
> > able to play a disk.  Actually, to be really honest, it just peeves me
> > that someone can try to stop me viewing something that I've legally
> > bought :-)  It's a bit like saying that I can buy a book, but I can't
> > read it on the train, in bed or in the bath :-)
>
> Anne,
>
> what breaks the dvd protection is libdvdcss (illegal in certain countries).
> This is why in linux (or in windows, if you use vlc) there is no need of
> setting any region in the dvd player.
>
> However, the MPAA (http://www.mpaa.org/) has financed a long battle, since
> the source code appeared
> on the net.
>
> If you like to know the whole history, then check for instance, this link
> (despite of the name, it is just a magazine):
>
> http://www.out-law.com/page-4335

I've read the story of DVD-Jon over the years, and cheered along with everyone
else (almost everyone) when the courts upheld his rights.  No-one will ever
convince me that we are doing anything wrong in viewing a DVD that we own.
We have bought the right to view it, and they took our money.  That's a
contract in my eyes.  And we're not the ones that broke the contract.

Anne