k3b problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 2 15:51:57 UTC 2007

Greetings;

I'm trying to salvage an XP installs data here folks, by mounting their
drive on my box & making a couple of dvd's from the stuff they woul;d
like to save.  Windows is hosed, apparently by an Activision game they
got for Christmas and installed on the 29th of Dec.  Anything that uses
IE, which is everything, is now hosed.

I made a tmpdir on my 160GB, root, and copied stuff off till I had a dvd
full, minus about 200MB, but when I try to start the burn, I'm getting
the WAH WAH's from k3b.

The killer error message seems to be:
K3b
-----------------------
Size of filesystem calculated: 2169556

Used versions
-----------------------
growisofs: 7.0

growisofs
-----------------------
:-( unable to anonymously mmap 33554432: Resource temporarily unavailable

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2169556 -dvd-compat -speed=16 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

I've allowed superlong pathnames, and the attendant mkisofs command, after
listing everything that will go into the dvd, is this:
mkisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid JJHines-data-1 -volset  -appid
K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2005 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B
TEAM -publisher  -preparer  -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno
1 -sort /tmp/kde-root/k3b2u8cna.tmp -rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-root/k3b4FwHQa.tmp -joliet -joliet-long -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bjMssOa.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -disable-deep-relocation -iso-level
2 -path-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bCoytnc.tmp

The disk is a DVD+R, 4x capable, the drive is a very recent Lite-On (from
dmesg)
hdc: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
dual layer, lightscribe capable, but I don't see any references to DVD+R's
in the k3b device display.  I thought they all could do DVD+R's?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)