donated computers lab setup

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jan 2 17:18:31 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Norm wrote:
>> Tim
>> Your project is the type of project more of us in the IT world should
>> do.  Too often people in IT are considered nerds and not part of the
>> real world, if a a group we use our IT skills to help the
>> disadvantaged and at the same time spread the use of Linux we can all
>> feel we have done something to help society.
>> I haven't tried an XT computer in a thin client configuration but I
>> suspect that even those can find a use as thin clients in the right
>> situation.
>
> How can using an XT spread Linux? The kernel requires a 386 at least,
> due to use of priviledge rings.
>
> Mike
There are some X terminal packages that will run on an XT. The XT
does not run Linux, but it connects to a server running Linux. The
XT system ends up being just an X terminal. It is a bit more bulky
and uses a bit more power then a standard X terminal, X terminals
tend to be expensive, and hard to find surplus... If I remember
correctly, most of the X terminal programs ran on top of DOS.

Mikkel