DVD Playback problems

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 2 18:18:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 19:41 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 09:32 +1300, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> > The drive spins up, the light flickers exactly the same for the good
> > ones as well as the bad ones.  But for the ones it ignores reports
> > that the drive is empty, no media present.
>
> That's only a crude indicator of what the drive is doing.  You'd want to
> know error counts, and how hard it was to focus, etc., to really know
> how well the drive was reading a disc.

Just a thought.

I had an issue with a new DVD drive not reading DVD's that my older
drive would read.  Changing the drive fixed the problem, to a point.  It
turned out that the power supply on my computer had drifted and wouldn't
work properly when trying to access the faster DVD player.

Changing power supplies fixed all issues.

Just something to check.