[SOT] Fast typing and threading...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 2 20:51:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 15:24 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> In this case, deliberately breaking the thread is *not* what is
> wanted, since it will separate the drifted topic into two threads --
> the original drifted messages and other responses, and the split topic
> with the new title. Usually these will sort some way apart in the
> subject list, readers will not be aware of the other thread, and you
> will end up with related branches of the same conversation in multiple
> places. This is usually what the users of threaded e-mail clients
> *explicitly* wish to avoid.

Correct, and why I did what I did...

If I had a client that did let me manually adjust headers, I might have
been tempted to strip out some of the references, so that it stayed
connected with the drifted topic, but wasn't so related to the original.
But it's years since I've seen a client that lets one do such a thing.

I read messages from the public lists.