Lost Ctrl+Shift+hex unicode entry - FC6 issue?

At some point in the recent past, I seem to have lost the ability to enter Unicode values in GTK apps. (inc. Thunderbird & gvim) by holding <Ctrl+Shift> and entering the hex value. It seems to act as if <Shift>'s not held down (and yes, my Shift keys work).

This may have happened as part of upgrading from FC5 to 6; anyone any idea what to check?

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature