Getting people into Linux

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Wed Jan 3 20:38:28 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 19:27, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> Primarily, since they haven't heard of it, they don't trust it. No
> matter how many virtues you point out about something, if someone
> hasn't heard it mentioned in the newspaper, on TV, by a celebrity, by
> their friends, etc. they are not going to adopt it. The majority of

I am of exactly the same opinion. What Linux lacks is advertising. If it were
to become comparably popular on the desktop to Windows and the Mac I am sure
comparable support from hardware manufacturers would quickly follow.

What we need IMHO is either a millionaire or two on this list prepared to fund
some advertising, or an advertising fund contributed to by list members or
anybody else. Personally I don't seem to have sufficient time available to me
to contribute very much to the distribution itself although I did do a little
documentation a while back, but I would be more than happy to contribute a
few pounds to an advertising budget.

Unfortunately my lotto numbers have not yet matched the draw. My best so far
was 5/6 balls. :-(

Dave F

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to the richest
person in the world to use his products, even though perfectly good software

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763