Getting people into Linux

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 13:16:19 UTC 2007

On Thursday 04 January 2007 00:08, William Case wrote:

> By far, the greatest number of people out there just want to write
> reports or novels, draw or create industrial designs, solve problems
> that require higher level mathematics or do their bookkeeping, etc.,
> etc.,  They want their computers to 'just work'.

And there I want to chip in.  One big bugbear is when things that were working
get broken by updates.  I think that one small change would be immensely
helpful here.

Either people don't do updates at all - in which case vulnerabilities mount -
or they get the lot, and things occasionally get broken.  Bear in mind that
this class of user usually doesn't need the absolute latest and greatest -
just a reasonably up-to-date version of his software.  Surely it would be
possible to make a simple way to take security fix updates only?  That way
you could automate the updates for normal use, and they could get other
updates with the aid of someone more knowledgeable if necessary.

Maybe the possibility already exists. If it is, then it needs publicising.

Anne