Re: shell script how to switch users?

On 1/4/07, Rajiv Jaisankar <rajiv jaisankar gmail com> wrote:
Hi All,
i am not sure if this is the right mailing list for asking this question. I
would appreciate any help on this.

I want to switch users using a shell script, i.e.
Say i am logged in as user1. I would like to say su - user2 in my script.
 I would be performing some operations as user "user2" as part of the script
after logging in as this user.
Finally i will be exiting back to user1 shell.

How will i login as user2 through shell script?
How will i  execute scripts as user2 after logging in from shell script?
Even if i am able to login as user2
any commands after "su - user2" are not executed as user2. They are executed
only as user1 when i exit the
user2 shell.

--
Regards,
Rajiv

Use the -c option with su, and call a new script to run as that user.

I tried the following:

test.sh script:
#!/bin/bash
echo "before su"
su root -c ./rootscript.sh
echo "after su"
whoami

rootscript.sh (located in the same directory hence why called by ./rootscript)
#!/bin/bash
echo "now in sub shell"
whoami
echo "exiting sub shell"

It behaved exactly as you'd like.  Within the second script, I was
root running the commands.

Jacques B.