FC4 -> FC6 dvd writer not detected: SOLVED!

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Thu Jan 4 17:28:13 UTC 2007

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> After I upgraded to FC6 my DVD writer was no longer detected, I suspect
> because I had to comment out a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
> to get my machine to boot.  What can I do to get the DVD detected and
> the device made for it, after the machine is booted.  Because I had to
> comment out the following line in 50-udev.rules:
>
> ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="?*", ENV{MODALIAS}=="?*",
> RUN+="/sbin/modprobe $env{MODALIAS}"
>
> I had to put: "/sbin/modprobe snd-emu10k1"  in /etc/rc.local for my
> sound card driver to be loaded.  I assume I need another modprobe
> command for my DVD, I just don't know what it is...
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug p

It turns out that FC5 and FC6 must have a gorked up S3 Savage4 video
driver.  In the debugging output, I noticed the savage4_smbus was shown
just prior to the crash on boot.  I renamed the driver (i2c-savage4.ko)
to i2c-savage4.ko.orig and the machine booted just fine.  The Xinerama
feature with multiple screens seems to work just fine without the driver
so I don't know what the driver actually did for me.

Regards

doug P